Michael Giordano, B.A., LL.B.
Founding Partner, Lawyer
Michael Giordano is a founding partner of Avanessy Giordano LLP. Prior to establishing his own practice, he was a partner of a prominent personal injury firm. He completed his law degree at the University of Ottawa and studied English and Law & Society at York University. While at the University of Ottawa, Michael obtained extensive training in negotiation through a specialized Alternative Dispute Resolution program. He was selected as a peer mentor for the program in his final year of law school.
From personal experience, Michael can empathize with those who are seriously injured or who have lost loved ones due to the negligence of others and devotes his practice to helping families who have suffered such a loss. Read Michael’s story here.
Michael takes pride in skillfully advocating for his clients.
He has successfully argued numerous contested Motions and appeared as lead counsel for judge and jury trials in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. He has also obtained notable decisions at the Financial Services Tribunal and Licence Appeal Tribunal, the adjudicating body for Accident Benefit disputes.
Michael has also successfully represented clients in various other tribunals including the Office of the Commissioner of Review Tribunal (CPP), the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal and the Human Rights Tribunal.
He was the recipient of the Martin Wunder, Q.C. Outstanding Young Lawyer Award in 2017 and received the Urban Hero Award in 2015 in recognition of his contributions to the community.
Michael is an active member of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA). He was elected Chair of OTLA’s New Lawyers’ Division in 2017 and previously held the Vice-Chair position in 2014 and 2016. In 2018, he was voted onto OTLA’s Board of Directors.
He is currently the Chair of the OTLA Blog Committee and a regularly contributing author. He has chaired and presented for many conferences and webinars as well as had articles published in The Litigator magazine.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
Litigation Experience & Notable Decisions
- Robertson v. Bouclair (2019) – The Defendant sought to commence a Third Party Claim approximately two years after the Claim was issued. Contested Motion on the grounds that the delay was prejudicial. Court accepted strict timeline proposed by the Plaintiff. No costs awarded. The matter resolved shortly after.
- Grenier v. Intact Insurance (2019) – Lengthy Preliminary Hearing on a novel issue regarding the jurisdiction of the LAT and priority of accident benefits between SAAQ (the Quebec regime) and SABS (the Ontario regime).
- Grewal v. Singh (2018) – Matter successfully settled at the doorsteps of trial with a satisfactory result for the Plaintiff.
- Argued a lengthy Summary Judgment Motion in October 2016 re: liability & standard of care for slip and fall in store which consisted of seven (7) cross-examinations [see Zarebicki v. Walmart (2016)]
- Alberton v. Eichler and Pereira v. Gjeta (2015) – successful on contested Motions re: production.
- Conducted a three (3) week Jury trial as lead counsel – judgment rendered for the Plaintiff [see Patel v. Jenik (2015)]
- Conducted several Judge alone trials as lead counsel [see Kurzeja v. Fabutan (2011) and Rai v. Flowers (2014)]
- Argued a lengthy jurisdiction motion (forum non conveniens analysis) consisting of three (3) court appearances prior to the Court of Appeal decision in Van Breda [see Gujjar v. Ossiff and Unifund (2011)]
- Successfully argued various contested Motions in Superior Court
- Appeared as counsel for many FSCO decisions some which have been reported in the OTLA Updates such as El-Sisi v. Wawanesa (2014) and Mann v. State Farm (2014).
- Small claims court trial experience [see Gardiner v. Ally]
- Conducted many successful CPP and WSIB appeals.
Honours and Awards
- Scholarship recipient – York University
- Governor General’s Academic Medal
- Valedictorian (Secondary School)
- Recipient of the North York Urban Hero Award 2015 for contributions to the community Read Michael’s story here.
- The TDCSB has created a namesake award, the “Michael Giordano Award of Excellence” to recognize achievements through adversity. The award is given each year to two high school students who pursue post-secondary education and have demonstrated strong leadership and social justice skills.
- Recipient of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association Martin Wunder, Q.C. Outstanding Young Lawyer Award in 2017. This is a peer reviewed award in recognition of exceptional commitment to and promotion of the advancement of the Trial Lawyers’ Mission: To fearlessly champion through the pursuit of the highest standards of advocacy the cause of those who have suffered injury or injustice. The successful recipient must have demonstrated participation in activities and programs to improve our legal system and its responsiveness to those for whom we advocate. The individual must also have displayed professional proficiency, undertaken trials, and provided service to the profession and the community.
Featured Publications and Media
- Authored article in The Litigator magazine (2019) entitled, “Career Path of the Personal Injury Lawyer – An Overview”
- Moderator of Panel Discussion – OTLA Spring Conference (2018) entitled, “When to Settle Your File”
- Speaker for OTLA Webinar (2017) entitled, “Summary Judgment: As Shield and Sword”
- Featured in the Law Times article entitled, “Artificial Intelligence to Impact Personal Injury Law” dated November 27, 2017
- “On the Record” with Mick Hassell Trial Counsel Interview – December 2016: http://trialcounsel.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Michael-Giordano-on-the-record-with-Mick-Hassell.m4a
- Featured in the Law Times article entitled, “Distracted Walking Charges Raise Debate” dated October 17, 2016
- Authored article in The Litigator magazine (2015) entitled, “Relevant Considerations in Product Liability Cases”
- Conference Chair for OTLA NLD Spring Conference (2014) entitled, “Winning Advocacy Skills”
- Mississauga Marathon
- Brain Injury Society of Toronto (BIST) annual run
- Regular donor for the Canadian Blood Services
- Conversant Italian
- Enjoying time with his Family
- Recreational / Amateur Boxing
- Riding his Motorcycle